The creamiest, cheesiest potatoes you'll ever have! With only 5 minutes of prep time, this recipe is great if you're in a rush but need a show-stopping side dish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
4-5 Russet Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup Ham, chopped or sliced into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup Gruyere, or Italian Cheese Blend, shredded
1 1/3 cup Whole Milk
1/3 cup Flour
3 tbsp. Olive Oil, or Butter
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8x8" baking dish.
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat, stir the flour and olive oil until a paste-like texture. Stir continuously for 1 minute.
3. Gradually pour in the milk as you whisk to create a creamy, smooth sauce. It will thicken up quickly, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cheese, salt, and black pepper. Turn off heat.
4. Add a layer of 1/3rd of the peeled and sliced potatoes, then add a 1/3rd of the chopped ham. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, then pour on top half of the sauce mixture. Use the back of a spoon to evenly spread it out. Repeat once more.
5. (Optional) Top with additional shredded cheese.
6. Cover with aluminum foil to bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes, until top is golden brown. Enjoy warm!