Country Fried Cauliflower Steak with Butternut Squash Sauce
This wholesome meal is delicious with hints of cinnamon, coconut & butternut squash, and it's surprisingly filling too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch thick "steaks"
1/2 cup vegan egg replacement
2 cups flour
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs onion powder
1 tbs paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cups vegetable oil
1 tbs oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp sage
1. Bring salted water to a boil and blanch cauliflower "steaks" for 4-5 minutes until slightly softened. Remove from heat and dry completely.
2. Use 2 shallow bowls. In one, place egg replacement and in the other, combine flour, spices, salt and pepper.
3. Place the blanched and dried cauliflower "steaks" into the egg mixture and then dredge in the seasoned flour, and set aside.
4. Warm 1-2 cups vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat or in a fryer. Fry breaded cauliflower "steaks" for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove from heat.
5 In a separate pan, prepare the squash sauce. Over medium high heat, warm oil and add garlic, mushrooms, shallots, thyme and sage. Cook for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Pour in the pouch of Proper Good Butternut Squash Soup. Bring to a simmer and combine all ingredients well.
7. Place cauliflower steak on a plate and top with prepared squash sauce.